CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 30, 2009

St. Xavier @ Elder Varsity Dual

Let me say it felt like Friday night football on this day.

It was X vs Elder in a Varsity dual last Saturday night. Gym was packed and the fans were very much into the match.

This dual was a good tough match-up, however I did not have an assistant official with me. It's amazing how much energy that is exorted not only physically, but mentally for a match like this. The focus has to be there.


It's hard to remember everything that went on that night but the match that stands out was when a kid from X seemed to be in control of the match and was leading by 2-3 points. But the next thing you know the Elder kid was on bottom and rocked him back and boom, there was a defensive pin. I hear half the gym cheering and half booing. One of the coaches asked me about the call. I told him what I had and he said 'Ok' and was fine with it. Total Class! Of course he wasn't happy with the pin but understood and was total class!
I have a saying that I like to go by: "I have no problem with competitive disagreement. But there is no place for disrespectful disagreement." No problem with coaches sticking up for there kids. That's what they're there for.



In the end Elder won the dual 40-17. After I got a shower and was getting ready to leave I spoke to some Elder and X fans. Both sets of fans had really nice things to say.

I did ask the X fans not to boo me when they saw me for the upcoming dual against Moeller. They replied, "Well that depends on you." I answered, "Now that's not true. It's up to the wrestlers." They laughed and said see you then.

Isn't this sport GREAT!

0 comments: